30 November 2012

Banana flambé


When I was a child, my mom would make thin crêpes with bananas flambés for dessert.  It was my sister and I's favourite.  It was always exciting to see my mom reach for bananas and the bottle of rum after dinner; we knew we were in for a treat! (don’t worry – this dessert is safe for children.  All alcohol will evaporate when cooked)

What I love about this dessert is that it can be assembled in approximately 10 minutes and takes very little preparation.  It is also very versatile; the banana flambé can be served with vanilla ice cream, crêpes, or on top of graham crackers. 



Banana Flambé
Yields 4 servings

Ingerdients
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 4 bananas, cut in 3 pieces
  • ¼ cup dark rum
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions
In a pan, melt the butter over high heat.
Add the brown sugar and water.  Bring to a boil.
Cook for 5 minutes, stirring the mixture often.
Add the bananas and coat with the caramel mixture. 
Continue to cook until the syrup starts to caramelize.
Add the rum and flambé (optional!).
Incorporate the vanilla extract and serve warm.




Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment