28 February 2013

Blackened Cod with Mango Salad


I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and it wasn’t pretty…  My hair is dull, I have deep, dark circles under my eyes and my complexion is no longer fair;  it’s officially white with blue undertones.  I need a tan so bad – everybody looks better with a tan (Not to worry; I always wear sunscreen!)
So I’m still in “beach” mode and aside from craving sun, sand and Tequila, I also wanted a dish that would be both fresh and light. 

This blackened cod tastes like sunshine; that’s the best way I can describe it!


A few words on the seasonings of this dish: I like to use Old Bay.  It’s the perfect seasoning for fish and seafood and you can find it at most supermarkets (usually close to the fish and seafood counter).
If you can’t find the spice mix, I found this recipe for homemade mix.



Blackened Cod with Mango Salad
Yields 4 portions


Ingredients
§ 1 pound of fresh cod, deboned & cut into 4 servings
§ 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
§ 1 tablespoon olive oil
Mango Salad:
§ 1 mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
§ 1 tablespoon finely sliced red onion
§ ¼ orange or red pepper, thinly sliced
§ ¼ teaspoon red chili pepper, thinly chopped
§ ⅓ cup arugula
§ Juice of 1 lime
§ Salt & Pepper to taste
§ Fresh cilantro; chopped

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Pat dry the fish with a paper towel.
Rub the spice mix on both side of the fish.
In a skillet, heat up the olive oil on medium high heat.
Once the pan is hot, sear the fish for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Remove the fish from the skillet and transfer it to a baking dish.
Bake the cod in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until it’s cooked through.

Meanwhile, prepare the mango salad.


In a bowl, toss together all the ingredients of the salad.  Mix well.
Serve the cod on top of the mango salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment