4 February 2013

Taco Wings

Yesterday was the NFL Super Bowl XLVII.  I can't really say I'm a big football fan but any excuse to prepare finger food is good for me!  That being said, this week I'm going to be posting all the delicious snacks I prepared for the big game.

First up:  Chicken wings!  
Wings are a classic dish to watch any sport event; Buffalo, honey garlic, mild, medium or hot, you name it, I love them all.  This year I wanted to try a new flavour for my wings and decided to combine two of my favourite comfort foods:  Tacos & Wings!

I used the spice mix I usually prepare for beef tacos and transformed it into a dry rub for the wings.  




Taco Chicken Wings
yields 3 pounds

Ingredients

3 pounds chicken wings

2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
Preheat the oven to broil.
First cut off the wing tips. Find the part where the wing tip meets the wing flat, and cut through the joint.

Next find the joint between the drumette and the flat.  Slightly pull on the wing to dislocate it and then cut through the space between the drumette and the flat.

You can discard the wing tips or save them to make chicken stock.   (This video will show you exactly how easy wings are to prepare).



Mix all the spices together in a shallow bowl.


Coat the wing drumettes and flats with the spicy mixture.
Place the chicken wings, flat size down on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
Drizzle the wings with olive oil.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning once half way.

If the skin is not crisp enough, cook them for a few more minutes on broil.

Serve with guacamole, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment